loking for ideas or partners

skaryChinezeGuie

Programming Experience
Beginner
looking for ideas or partners

Well, it's been 4 months since i graduated from my 1 year course in VB.NET programming. I wouldn't even call myself a beginner really and no one is hiring entry level programmers, that i've found. But i must press on.

I'm looking for some ideas on some simple yet useful programs i could work on to get better, or some other entry-level partners to work on something more interesting and bigger. Possibly something that would look good to prospective employers, since the course i took only left me with 100 tiny, useless programs like miles/gallon calculators, picture windows that display different pics and buttons that change the GUI colors, etc. These of course wouldn't even impress my 80 year old grandma, let alone an employer.

on a side note: i'm really interested in making some audio/video editing software similar to Sony Acid, or Virtual Dj. What would be the best language to program something like that? Can that stuff be done easily with VB?:D

Last edited:
I'm just glad that I have a great Highschool. From the sounds of it, the stuff you learned in one year of college I learned in one year of highschool, and for free. WOOT. Well, I actually taught myself most of it. As for something that looks good to employers, make something useful. For instance, some of the projects that I've done in my sparetime that might look good to employers are: login program(saving and loading usernames, passwords and information), email program(A functional program that can send email), a richtextfile editor, and I'm in the middle of making what I call a process firewall(informs user of all processes running, user accepts or denys them, kill deniable processes, and save preferences). Or, maybe make some games, like pong or something. Of course, that would only satisfy someone in the video game industry, and then it definetly wouldn't impress. I think the best advice would be, do not look for simple projects, but instead attempt the more difficult so you can learn more and become a better programmer.

Of course all this advice is coming from someone who still considers himself a noob too. Good luck with finding employment

Last edited:
I would advice you work with databases. There is a free version of oracle. Like an express version. Create some VB.NET program that shows you know how to work with a database. A good project for that might be a Point Of Sale system. Keep looking. I kinda did what you did and found a job after 4 months.

Back