Question Library or Database ?

SmokyRick

Programming Experience
Beginner
I am making a new game. It will have several different good guys and several different bad guys, along with many different areas to visit. I am calling them Heroes, Enemies, and Rooms. Since I have so many different things to refer to I thought it would be good to use a group of class libraries. However, using the Visual Studio 2017, in the Visual Basic area there are 4 different ones to choose from and I have no idea where to start. Or would I be better off to learn to use a database and tie it all together with this? I am trying to build this game in Visual Basic as I used to know something about that and it was easy to deal with. (Maybe 30 years ago.) However, it has been MANY years since I did hardly any programming. I downloaded the Visual Studio 2017 and have been looking online for help, but can't seem to make the link work with the libraries and the windows form.

Any help would be appreciated, or even just opinions
Thanks, SmokyRick

What do you think you gain by using libraries? There are certainly gains to be made in certain situations but it's not something that you should do arbitrarily. The fact that you suggest a database as a possible alternative suggests that you're not really sure what is for what. A database is for storing data while a library is for grouping types, often for reuse in different applications. They are pretty much unrelated.

As for creating library projects, if you are creating an application just for Windows that targets the .NET Framework then you would choose 'Class Library (.NET Framework)' in most cases.

@jmcilhinney - Well, I am hopelessly a Windows guy after being forced into it for the last 30 years by my job. Retired now, but still ... I thought a half dozen classes would do for the enemies, and another half dozen for the heroes. This doesn't seem worthwhile for a database. The rooms (levels) of the game, however, that seems like the right way to go as there will be a couple hundred of them at least. You are correct that I am a raw beginner to all this, but what you say makes sense. Thanks. Now I'll go and see if I can find a good tutorial on databases in VB.

Back