How to get started programming with VB.Net

Freddy Boy UK

Programming Experience
Beginner
i am a student currently on a computer course, i've found the only subject i like is programming, i have taken a huge liking to it and will be trying to get onto a video game programming course in university, but i'm not very good just a beginner i know a few basic commands i could send anyone my latest project a Xbox 360 Jackpot program if you like but what i was wondering is what would be the best way to learn VB.Net??

thanks in advance:)

Freddy

Welcome to the forums:) For future reference it is helpful if you title your posts appropriately then we can all get a better idea of the target of your query and also if you can try to post in the most appropriate forum. For now i have made the necessary corrections.

sorry:p i havent been on forums very much, the basic idea of it is i wanna learn VB and i would love some help on the best way to go about it:D

The best way to go about it would be different for every person. Sociology dictates that different people respond differently to different approaches to learning. If you are good in a class room then put yourself on a course, if you prefer to teach yourself then buy a book and work through it. So really it depend on the type of person you are..

Activist
Pragmatist
Theorist
Reflector - (if you'll pardon the programming connotation)

My way was to do a degree, join a forum like this and then just get stuck in and made a million mistakes pulled my hair out like a hundred times and finnally started to get there. Your financial disposition will also be a factor. But you just can't beat a good book in my opinion.

Once you have Vb.net installed on your computer, you can access the help files, which are actually quite useful. Also, a website i found useful for begining was www.w3schools.com. On that website you can learn a lot, not just vb.net. Also, if you have knowledge of other programming languages, it shouldn't take you that long to catch on to Vb.net. Then, just experiment with the program and if you have any questions we will try to answer them on the forums.

Me, personally, I'm a self-learner. I'm taking a computer science course in high school, but because I'm teaching myself I know more than the teacher. I'm still a noob, but I'm learning.

Hello Freddy Boy.
If you haven't already, join the Public Library - it's free! Get books out on VB and have a go through them to see what sort of style you like. Some authors may suit you - others not. If your local library hasn't got what you want just ask and they will get it for you. When you have decided what style you like you may want to invest in one. I wanted a certain book on VB but it was £80 so I asked the library to get it it for me. But because they had to get it from another county and from Lancaster University I did have to pay!! 80p. I had it for 10 weeks. Not bad. Eh!
Good luck in your quest.

Back