Resolved Can't get ReportViewer working

silverblatt

Programming Experience
10+
I'm building a VB.Net Windows Forms application, and I need to incorporate reporting functions into it (just straightforward report generation, viewing and exporting). Much of the data for the reports will be drawn directly from a local Jet 4.0 database, while some will be generated internally by the application.

I've spent several days attempting to test the ReportViewer control, using VS 2017, 2019 and 2022, but nothing has worked. In most cases I couldn't even get the control to appear in the Toolbox. In the few projects where it did appear, I always got an error message when I attempted to drag it onto a form. I've repeatedly used the NuGet Package Manager to process different versions of the ReportViewer control for Winforms, and other related packages. Now I can't even get ReportViewer to appear in the Toolbox. I've tried the troubleshooting suggestions found on too many technical websites to count, one of which stated that ReportViewer will not work with VS 2022 or any .Net version later than 4.8.1.

I'll be most appreciative if anyone can tell me the following:
1. Which versions of Visual Studio and .Net should I be using. My inclination is to use VS 2022 and .Net 6.0, but since I'm not likely to need any of the latest features I'll be happy to use whatever are the latest versions that support Jet 4.0 and the reporting functionality I need, AND will allow the application to run even on old systems (specifically 32 bit machines running Windows 7 or later).
2. What are the specific steps I need to take to get ReportViewer (or any alternate reporting component) to appear in the Toolbox and function properly on a form?

Hello Silvrblatt,

I am facing a similar problem, but i see you clicked resolved yet there is no reply.

How did u resolve the issue??

Back