Question Greek Text in ArrayList appears as '????????????'

nectar

Programming Experience
3-5
Hello all,

I've written a Windows application which reads the title of a Window (which is in Greek)
and adds it in an Array List. However, when I MessageBox.Show(thatString) it appears as '?????'.

Any ideas?

It may be related to how you read it.

Hi John,

this is what I have:

Private Function Enumerator(ByVal hwnd As IntPtr, ByVal lParam As Integer) As Boolean
Dim text As String = Space(Int16.MaxValue)

If IsWindowVisible(hwnd) Then
GetWindowText(hwnd, text, Int16.MaxValue)
ListBox1.Items.Add(text.Trim)

End If
ListBox1.EndUpdate()

'Then I display the contents of the listbox on the form and it appears as '?????'

Any ideas?

Try the VB declaration here instead: pinvoke.net: getwindowtext (user32)
I tested it with code below code with a Greek window title and it worked fine.
        Dim builder As New System.Text.StringBuilder
        GetWindowText(hwnd, builder, 256)
        Me.ListBox1.Items.Add(builder.ToString)

Thanks for your reply.
Unfortunately, I have modified my code as you stated in the 3 lines above.
I had to change the String variable type to System.Text.Stringbuilder so I could send to my other method
StringBuilder variables because I was getting an error message String variables cannot be converted to type StringBuilder.
After that I got no compilation errors but the program stops responding and windows asks to shut it down!

You're only supposed to use a StringBuilder to fetch the window title, as per the pinvoke definition. My code sample showed how to get the String value from the StringBuilder.
After that I got no compilation errors but the program stops responding and windows asks to shut it down!
That is unrelated to the GetWindowText call, unless you have the situation described below, which would be very weird:
documentation said:
However, if the target window is not responding and it belongs to the calling application, GetWindowText will cause the calling application to become unresponsive.

Back