Displaying charts in a windows form.

Poochi

Programming Experience
Beginner
Hi, I'm new here and fairly new to programming in VB.Net though I have quite a bit of experience with Java and C.

Anyhow I'm developing a project management software similar to MS Project and one of the key functionalities is to be able to draw a gantt chart (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gantt_chart).

I was hoping if anyone can help me with some of the solutions I've come up with:

1. A colleague of mine coded something in Visual Basic 6 that supposedly works. However I don't know whether it can be imported to VB.NET correctly. Furthermore, it seems to require some .ocx file (JanChart.ocx) which I don't have and isn't freely available (he can't seem to remember how he obtained it in the first place either). So my question is really whether developing something in VB using additional modules and then importing it to VB.NET is actually a workable solution?

2. Another option is to simply pass the data into Excel, draw the Gantt chart there, and display it in another Windows form. I believe I've heard something like this on these forums or on Google. However, I've never accessed Excel from VB.NET and don't know how to do so. I've accessed MS Access from VB.NET though, is it a similar procedure? And since we're dealing with graphics instead of just data from a database, how do I display it? If there's a tutorial available on this please let me know.

3. Another alternative would be to pass some values into a HTML file and then draw a table in HTML using those values and pass it off as a makeshift chart. I prefer option 2 above over this though.

Of course, if there's some in-built function or modules that already exist that can draw a gantt chart then please let me know too :). Or if there's another solution that I havn't come up with please tell me as well.

Well that was a long post, but I appreciate any help/links on any of the things I've talked about.

Check out ZedGraph and NPlot, which are free, .NET charting components. If you wanted to fashion something yourself then you'd use GDI+ through the System.Drawing namespace, which is the standard .NET drawing mechanism.

Back