Question Best option For designing Accounting Software ???!!

totti_acmilan17

Programming Experience
3-5
Hello everybody,

I am analyzing programming tools to design accounting application that user could download the setup file from my website and install enjoy it !!

1. I need it have minimum requirement to run throw end user, database would be SQL 2008.

2.It must have small size package to be fastly downloadable throw dial-up internet !!!!

3.Would Light switch best option for developing accounting software,If know better option please suggest me,End User annually insert 10,000 recodes?

4.End User annually insert 10,000 recodes !!!

5.Need reporting tools that be very fast and flexible!!

List of tools that I come up are :
LightSwitch,C#,VB.NET,C++.NET, VB ???

Thank you all

Lightswitch might be an option and it will keep the amount of coding down, but it's hard to say for sure without more detailed requirements. If not, given that this is a VB.NET forum, we're going to recommend VB.NET. None of the other options you mentioned would be better. If there's something else you have experience with then that might make using it quicker but VB.NET will have no issue with what you describe.

Lightswitch might be an option and it will keep the amount of coding down, but it's hard to say for sure without more detailed requirements. If not, given that this is a VB.NET forum, we're going to recommend VB.NET. None of the other options you mentioned would be better. If there's something else you have experience with then that might make using it quicker but VB.NET will have no issue with what you describe.
But I developed app with VB.NET and the deployment package is very large file that my users couldn't easily download it throw dial-up,I mean end user need to download full package with have .netframework ,sql express ,crystal report and I don't like it !!??

Firstly, I think that you mean "through" rather than "throw".

Secondly, it sounds like you are expecting a miracle of sorts. If you don't want your users to have to install all those components then don't use them in your app. It doesn't matter what language you use to write the app, if you want to use Crystal Reports to display the data then the user will have to install CR components. Similarly, if you want to use SQL Server Express as the database then the user has to install it. If you don't use a .NET language then you won't need the .NET Framework but a lot of people already have that anyway.

There are several things you can do to minimise the damage. First of all, in your installer you should use the option to download prerequisites from the author's web site rather than deploy them with your app. That way, any user who already has a component installed will not need to download it at all while those who don't have it will download it during installation. You can also target as old a version of the .NET Framework as possible. The older the Framework, the more people will already have it installed.

If you do target .NET 3.5 or later, make sure you target the Client Profile if possible, which is a subset of the full Framework and therefore a smaller download. For the database, if it's appropriate you might use Access, SQL Server CE, SQLite or the like instead of SQL Server Express, so there's no need to download and install a full server.

Etc, etc.

You could also opt for a SAAS approach, through ASP.Net, that effectively nullifies the install size, but it also requires that you have an internet connection to access it, and servers to host it. Then you can also sell management services, like automated backups of the client databases. That is where most of the money is made in this business. Sell the software for 150$, but offer management and support services for 2K$ a year.

An accounting software is not something you can design just once and expect not to have to update it frequently. Tax laws and other fiscal laws change almost every year, and you have to keep on top of it, or you might get sued if customers end up in trouble with the IRS. You will also need the services of at least one professional accountant to lay out the equations for sales tax, income tax, etc... It's a rather large endeavour for someone feeling the need to ask which language to use to develop it.

As for the database, you could use SQL Server Compact, or the newly available SQL Server 2012 Express LocalDB, that has an extremely small footprint and almost all standard SQL features, in local mode.

Last edited:
You could also opt for a SAAS approach, through ASP.Net, that effectively nullifies the install size, but it also requires that you have an internet connection to access it, and servers to host it. Then you can also sell management services, like automated backups of the client databases. That is where most of the money is made in this business. Sell the software for 150$, but offer management and support services for 2K$ a year.

An accounting software is not something you can design just once and expect not to have to update it frequently. Tax laws and other fiscal laws change almost every year, and you have to keep on top of it, or you might get sued if customers end up in trouble with the IRS. You will also need the services of at least one professional accountant to lay out the equations for sales tax, income tax, etc... It's a rather large endeavour for someone feeling the need to ask which language to use to develop it.

As for the database, you could use SQL Server Compact, or the newly available SQL Server 2012 Express LocalDB, that has an extremely small footprint and almost all standard SQL features, in local mode.

Hi, not sure if the requestor is still reading this, Anyway, just to share some of my experiences as a software developer. VB or VB.Net would be your best fit, since you are porting to SQL Server as your back-end. Apart from choosing the front-end language, do you ever thought of the accounting subject itself, which is also important as in choosing your front or back-end tools. In reality, you may need to know a lot about double-entry if this is to be successful. Unfortunately, there is no book that literally teaches a programmer from A-Z on how to develop an accounting software. But, you may try finding some accounting database design ebook from amazon or smashwords, which may give you an overview of what you should be covering in developing your own system. Good Luck:peaceful:

Back