application with online database

rizwan6feb

Programming Experience
Beginner
I have to develop a database application in vb.net 2005 with the following rules

1. The application connects with an online mysql database (i.e database resides on a remote machine)
2. The application has no local database but it should have a local cache to stores new records and the
changes made to the existing records should also be stored in the local cache if the connection with
online mysql database fails
3. The changes in the local cache should be updated in the online mysql database when the connection
with online database server becomes available
4. A search feature is also required

I am not sure, how to achieve all this. Please help me out.

Hello.

That's more or less easy to achieve. I'd suggest that you write a class which is holding and storing the connection to the database (using SQL or ODBC). From there you wrap the Command/ExecuteReader/ExecuteScalar/ExecuteNonQuery methods. With a timer you can frequently check if the database is still avalaible, if not, then you bypass the given into a text/sql file and the moment the database comes back on you execute everything within there.

The search feature is different...it's easy to put SQL-Queries together, all you have to do is look what search options they need, and provide the textfields for the searchwords.

Bobby

Back