2D Tank Game Development

Ibanezmatt13

Programming Experience
Beginner
Hi,

I am relatively new to the world of VB.NET programming and so I would much appreciate any help on the following subject:

I have been asked to create my own version of a currently popular online game called tank trouble; visit the following link to play the game: TANK TROUBLE Tank Game

This 2-D game uses a maze (quite possibly made up of labels) and what looks like a picture box for the tank. The tank has been programmed to move accordingly with the corresponding keys. The tanks can be rotated and depending on the current angle, when fired, a shell is fired in the direction the tank is facing. The bullets bounce off the various parts of the maze, making it more difficult to avoid contact with the shells. As the game progresses, various items can be collected which provide more advanced weapons.

I was wondering firstly whether there was a way to create a maze like this without using labels, such as a line of code that draws a random maze using the rnd fuction.

Secondly, I understand that picture boxes cannot be rotated, only the images inside them can. If anybody knows how to make the shells leave the tank in the direction the image is facing I would much appreciate your help.

Also, how would I program the shells so that more than one would leave the tank at the same time, I really would be grateful for a crash course on these basic functions within VB.NET.

I am currently using Visual Basic Express 2010, but I will soon be investing in VB6 or a more current version to which I have not yet researched.

Many thanks in advance,

Matthew

Thanks

There's no labels or picture boxes in there, it's a flash game, using flash primitives. You can do it in flash, or in silverlight on the MS side.

Thanks for the reply. I am assuming that I have to download another programming software. I would much appreciate it if you could specify how I should go about this.

Many thanks
Matthew

Just a suggestion, but if you're unable to google the two frameworks that Herman mentioned, then you might want to start with something a little more simple as your first foray into VB.Net.

Back