What do you think of VS 2010 Beta 2

Biohazard

Programming Experience
5-10
I was one of the luck ones, I sampled VS.NET 2005 and MS gave me a free copy some years ago. Now obviously that isn't the case, but I was wondering if any of yall downloaded and tested the VS.NET 2010 Public Beta 2 and what you thought of it.

I just don't want to download it if it isn't that different from 2008 as I don't want to waste unneccisary space on a beta that will expire. I thought about getting the Express Edition Beta but I just figure I'd wait...

Is it that good to where I should get it??

Are there any new major features??

--Biohazard

Oh it's different, the entire UI was re-created using WPF.

Personally I find VS 2010 much more annoying than anything else. The default color scheme is hard to read for me. The code editor quits the intellisense and code formatting/highlighting after 5 hours of use. I don't know if I'll be going from VS 2008 to 2010 when it's officially released or if I'll just skip it and wait for the one after that to come out.

I havent tried the beta so I guess my opinion doesnt mean much on the topic but from what Ive read about it, I dont really have an interest in jumping into this one as I have with almost every release since 5.

I've used the beta a bit and I will be upgrading the moment it is released. The beta is a beta, so it has its issues, but I like it.

That said, I see quite a lot of beginners posting questions with "VS 2010" in the title and I just don't think it's a good idea. I'm only using VS 2010 to specifically test the features of VS 2010 and .NET 4.0. If I want to get some work done I use VS 2008 and I would suggest that everyone else do the same.

Yea quite true, Does VS 2010 have any new major features in the .NETframework or is it all just a spiffed up VS2008??

I mean honestly, MS hasn't really changed anything with how it develops since the switch from VB6 to VB.NET

Yea quite true, Does VS 2010 have any new major features in the .NETframework or is it all just a spiffed up VS2008??

I mean honestly, MS hasn't really changed anything with how it develops since the switch from VB6 to VB.NET
While framework and IDE is interconnected that is two different questions really; has framework new major features? is IDE spiffed up? For the first question urge over to .NET Framework - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and check out especially the "The .NET Framework stack." image that shows what major building blocks are added for each framework version, for .Net 4.0 two parallel processing libraries. What's New in the .NET Framework Version 4 has a more extensive list of news, which also mention the new CLR, the first since .Net 2/ CLR 2. For the latter question I don't know, haven't tried 2010, but in relation to your last comment I disagree, I've found that each IDE version has added a lot in usability. Then there's a third question, does VB language version 10 add news? I think the VB language has evolved a lot from versions 7 to 9, this page has some info about it including some IDE news: What's New in Visual Basic 2010

There have been lots of Framework, IDE and language enhancements along the way. Even after using VS 2005 it was painful going back to VS.NET 2003. We've had generics, WCF, WPF, LINQ, Entity Framework, ASP.NET MVC, and that's just a tiny few of the features added along the way.

I will be switching to this as soon as it comes out. Since it's based on WPF the preview pane is viable again for Silverlight development.

There are a ton of new features that are a huge step forward in making your life as a programmer easier: variance support, auto-implement properties, collection initializers and implicit line continuation to name a few.

well thanks for all the relevant information I am going to download the beta later today (well just the express edition Beta, no use in downloading Visual Studio 2010 (for me) since I don't really know the differences (I know Visual Studio comes with ways to design applications for Windows Mobile, and extra templates for making screen savers, but other than that it has no differences that I feel I would ever use as I don't do any team development)

I've been using the beta for a couple weeks and I really don't want to write code in anything else again. Despite the hiccups right now, the layout is a lot easier for me to read and the implicit line continuation was my biggest selling point because I write huge lines of logic (30+ arguments).

Then throw in that the last time I programmed was at the release of VS6 and I want to jump back into the hobby learning the latest and greatest, I think I'll stick this out.

Back