Visual Studio 2005 or higher

JohnM

Programming Experience
1-3
Real Quick. I am a novice so I think Visual Studio 2005 is a good start? I seen a price for the standard edition for $87. Is this possible? If Not where can I buy it and what is a reasi\onable price. Thank you John M

2005 is pretty old stuff, but even so, $87.00 seems way too cheap to me.

Are you certain it is a legal, legitimate copy that is being offered.

The Express versions are free is you wanted to go that route.

Real Quick. I am a novice so I think Visual Studio 2005 is a good start? I seen a price for the standard edition for $87. Is this possible? If Not where can I buy it and what is a reasi\onable price. Thank you John M
I would look into getting VS 2008 if you can, or if you don't mind waiting another 6 to 8 months VS 2010 should be releasing and you could get that.

Thank you

This is going to sound stupid to you... but the Visual Studio I am currently using is the student ed. of Visual Studio 2003. I know its bad. BUT I am created some good apps on it. Would I be able to import them into VS 2008 without alot corrections/changes?

Thank you

John M

This is going to sound stupid to you... but the Visual Studio I am currently using is the student ed. of Visual Studio 2003. I know its bad. BUT I am created some good apps on it. Would I be able to import them into VS 2008 without alot corrections/changes?

Thank you

John M
A stupid question is one that never gets asked...

Going from VS 2002, 2003, 2005 to VS 2008 is as easy as opening the *.sln file in VS 2008 and the upgrade wizard kicks in. That being said, I would make a copy of the project and upgrade the project, that way if something goes wrong or whatever, you're only working on a copy.

If you're running the student version of 2003, can you get the student version of 2008? I believe all you need to do that is a valid student email you@someschool.edu.

Thank you for that idea. Unfortunately I am no longer in school. I am excited to use something more powerful that I currently have.
Thank you for your thought!!

John M

I'm not sure what you decided but, as suggested earlier, you should almost certainly start out with VB Express 2008. It's free and it will do pretty much all you need to do to begin with. If you find that there is certain functionality that it doesn't provide that you do need then you can always migrate to a paid-for version later, which will open your Express projects without change. That amy also mean that, by the time you need to upgrade, VS 2010 will already have arrived and you will avoid paying an extra fee or having to stick with 2008 for years when 2010 is a pretty big upgrade.

Thank you very much for your advice. I didn't really think about that approach. It does make sense to try the Express and see what I can do with it and if positive then go further with an upgrade. Like you said maybe 2010 could be ready.

I want to say that this forum is very responsive to users. I am grateful to you and all the help.

John M

Back