update a database... step by step

mdnewman007

Programming Experience
1-3
For a year now I have been having a problem not being able to update a database. Read, sure, but modify in any way, no. I am now learning about security permission on a computer but still do not know what the problem is.

I have tried the step by step learning on one website, can anyone here take me through a step by step process to be able to modify data on a database for VB.NET?

I have sql server 2005 and the .net framework 2.0.50727 with the visual studio IDE on one computer. I have the web matrix on two computers, one with server 200 development and the other with access.

I have been trying for years on accessing databases, too many books, and nothing is working. I have been looking for schooling, but do not want to leave my area. I am on the brink of loosing my mind as I know this should have not taken this long.

Please, a step by step may be long, but if anyone has one, in detail, please let me know what I could be doing wrong.

I can access a database just fine, connections are great, reading in many ways ok... but I can not modify the data. Even whaen I have something that tells me specifically in the program that the database was modified correctly, I can restart an application and the data is not changed.

mdnewman007 said:
I can restart an application and the data is not changed.

Erm, you arent linking to an access based file MDB in the same directory as your project are you? If you set the file to "copy always" then this happens:

app is build
DB is copied to bin/debug folder
you run an update on it, it is modified
you restart app
original DB from solution folder is copied over the database you updated

->it looks like no update was done, it was, but you copied over it.

This happens if you select access db in the wizard and say YES to the question "you want to copy this database t your project folder?"

Back