suggest some VB.NET Projects

sunnypalsingh

Programming Experience
Beginner
Can anyone give me project ideas for my final year projects want to make project in VB.NET

Here's my details

I did my graduation in Electronics(hons).....now i am pursuing MCA(Masters in Computers Application).

We have to make a project in our 3rd semester in VB or VB.NET as front end and SQL or Oracle as backend.

i don't want to make those boring inventory management...payroll manement...library mangement kinda projects

i want to make something new and different...
complexity no problem...i willing to work hard on any topic

so please suggest me with some good ideas

You could create an image storage and manipulation program. It's not too difficult to store images in an SQL database and you could provide basic drawing functionality through a PictureBox and GDI+. Alternatively, you could create a media player. If you want heavy databse usage, how about a point-of-sale system?

Something I thought would be quite cool would be a google style translator/converter. You could use the SQL db to store the languages/conversion ratios and the VB to create an intelligent interpreter for the queries.

(As a side note, try entering "once in a blue moon" into google)

thanx alot...but i need to make a big project

Recreating part of google isnt a simple task either :)

The POS system would be good too.. You can make any of these projects as big or as small as you like, it depends how many features you put in and how comprehensive you are.

Could you give us an idea of the kind of thing you were thinking of?

For jmcilhinney.....

i am not getting u ....what do mean by POS(point-of-sale) system not able to understand u properly...can u give me a breif description about it.

For tomhosking.....

i just (today)thought of making a flowchart designer in which we can create and present flowchart and process diagrams, entity-relationship diagrams of the database,organisational, hierchy charts, graphs and trees etc.

I haven't finally decided it yet... but it is one of the many ideas which was in my mind
Help me if u can on this topic.....

And about ur google style translator---plz can u tell me more about it

A point of sale system is a bit of software they use in shops: when they scan the barcode in, it gets interpreted by the POS system, which adds the price, item name etc. It then comes up with a total, maybe edits the stock count of the item, that kind of thing. If you wanted you could make it really quite advanced.

The translator would have one textbox, and one output field (label or similar). You could enter a plaintext query, and it would come back with the answer. eg if you enter "50kmh in metres per second" into google, it will come back with the answer. It could also work as a translator eg "computer in french". It would need a db to store the conversion data, and a fairly clever bit of code in VB to interpret what kind of query it was and do it.

Flowchart designer would be pretty good, however based on my personal experience with graphics and VB (admittedly limited) its not graet for that kind of thing. Also, similar programs are already available (visio) whereas the translator/convertor is only online, so there is an opening for an offline version.

Any other ideas?

There was one more thing which i was thinking earlier

ie. Finger Print Identification....but couldn't find much material about it

There was one site where i was getting the already buillt dlls and i have to simply

implement them in my software...but then only using the already built dlls and not

creating them does not make my project good enuf...getting my point

Hey,

Went through a few ideas when trying to find a final year project myself, most of which were just plain awful. I ended up programming a game. One idea which people liked was a text to sign language convertor for people learning sign language, you could store all the images / patterns in your database and develop grammar algorithms and make it extensible so you don't have to run through the whole english dictionary. By no means simple but would certainly be interesting. The main thing to remember in Big academic projects is to make sure your development is well documented and the structure is sound and shows your understanding of programming with classes etc, but you are right to try to find something which isn't going to make those grading your work groan.

Here's my idea.

I love billiards. Suppose you created a software package to run a pool hall. Graphic representation of all the tables (you click on a table and start adding players), start and end times for players on tables(to figure cost of time played). Designations for members and non-members playing. The ability to charge food and beverages to table cost while playing. Mailing lists for promotional information, custom reports on player time usage, ability to track peak hours and slow times (graphs and charts for display). Stuff like that.

If you don't like Pool, think resturant or other service industry.

thanks for reading...

Last edited:
Back