Question Simple database help in getting started

JammyOne

Programming Experience
1-3
Hello everyone,

First time poster here! I need a little help and direction with how to go about writing a program using a database. Apologies in advance if I've posted in the wrong section.

Aims:

1) To be able to make a form that takes about 8 pieces of information and stores it on a central local network database across a shared drive.

2) Need a form that can retrieve the data and have options showing only lines that have a match on a field (for example to be able to show records from a particular date). I then need to be able to update these records.

It seems fairly simple. I suppose I'll need to write a function that returns a connection string to change my search parameters (as above for date etc) and I'll need a function to write a new row of data, and last of all a function to edit a particular piece of data.

I've not yet written anything because I am a complete novice at databases and I have a few questions that you geniuses might be able to answer.

1) - Will a shared Access Database (.accdb) be suitable for what I'm trying to do? Is there a better way I can store and use the data?

2) - There is potential for about 100 people to be accessing the database at any given time. What will I need to do to ensure that the database isn't corrupted etc?

3) - The data will be mostly used on a month-by-month basis, therefore anything over a month could be archived separately. Can I use this to my advantage to make performance better?

Thank you so much for your time.

Happy Tuesday everyone.

Given the number of users you're talking about, I would suggest installing SQL Server on a machine somewhere on the network and then having the clients connect to that. SQL Server Express is free and can handle up to 10GB per database. I suggest that you follow the Data Walkthroughs link in my signature below to learn the basics of working with data, then post back if you have specific issues.

Back