Program won't maximise, and using hyperlinks

welshsteve

Programming Experience
Beginner
Hi everyone. I am brand new to VB, so please accept my apologies for being stupid.

I have created an application which has buttons to launch various excel spreadsheets. I have got this working ok. I then added a splash screen to the application, and now when the splash screen finishes and the main form loads, it remains in the WIndows taskbar flashing orange instead of maximising itself.

Is there a reason why this would happen? It only appears to happen the first time I launch the application. Subsequent launches work fine. I can't get my head around why this would be the case.

My second question is to do with hyperlinks.

In my app I have an About box which has my e-mail address and website address in it. Although the website address appears to be hyperlinked, nothing occurs when you click it. How can I make this work. And also, how can I make clicking on an e-mail address invoke the mailto command?

Many Thanks

Steve

Welcome to the forums

About the first question: Anything special happening in the Form_Load event of your main form?

The answer to the second question about the hyperlinks:
I presume they are LinkLabels?

Double click a hyperlink in the Designer and put this code in the LinkClicked event

VB.NET:
System.Diagnostics.Process.Start("http://someurl.com")
yourLinkLabelName.LinkVisited = True

For e-mailing use:

VB.NET:
System.Diagnostics.Process.Start("mailto:" & "someone@something.com")

Hi CygNuS, thanks for the reply.

Nothing special is happening in the load event. I'm just setting the value of a text label.

VB.NET:
Private Sub frmMain_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
        txtIntro.Text = "This suite contains all the financial calculators developed by Gateway.  If you have any questions or queries relating to these calculators, please contact Gateway."
End Sub

I have tried the code you gave me for the links and it works fine. Thanks for that.

Hi CygNuS, thanks for the reply.

Nothing special is happening in the load event. I'm just setting the value of a text label.

VB.NET:
Private Sub frmMain_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
        txtIntro.Text = "This suite contains all the financial calculators developed by Gateway.  If you have any questions or queries relating to these calculators, please contact Gateway."
End Sub

I have tried the code you gave me for the links and it works fine. Thanks for that.

Make sure you have the windowstate property for the form turned to true

Back