Platforms That Can Run .Net Applications

ayozzhero

Programming Experience
1-3
I've read a few articles and they state that Win 98 and above are able run .Net applications (exe files) provided that the Dot Net Framework is installed on the system.

Practically... how far is this true. Has anybody tested their apps on anything other than XP? I am unable to test my applications except on Win XP.

As far as the app is concerned, the .NET Framework is the .NET Framework regardless of the underlying OS. The only issues should be performance related and calling unmanaged code. Having said this, I have only actually tested on Win2000 and WinXP but I am aware of .NET apps running on older OSes.

yes, as far as the .net applications are concerned the .net framework is the only thing it needs

microsoft says the .net framework can be installed on win98 and higher meaning that they have tested the .net framework on win98 and newer machines

they are also working with apple to make a mac .net framework and i forget the company but they are working on a .net framework for linux (all) as well

JuggaloBrotha said:
i forget the company but they are working on a .net framework for linux (all) as well
There is an open source equivalent to the .NET Framework for Linux called Mono, but it is not supported or endorsed by Microsoft.

jmcilhinney said:
There is an open source equivalent to the .NET Framework for Linux called Mono, but it is not supported or endorsed by Microsoft.

hey maybe this will go off topic but do you maybe know something more about this ... as long as i tracked this project it was only idea/current project ... thanks :)

Back