Monitoring Applications in VB.net

pt123

Programming Experience
10+
Hi all, am not sure if this is the right forum. I want to develop a distributed solution in vb.net. This will consist of several exe's which could reside on different machines, but will be on the same LAN - one of which will control the others. The other exe's (lets call them agents) will be started up by the controlling exe(the Controller). I need ideas on how the Controller can check whether any of the Agents are "alive" or have "shutdown". - I preferably do not want to use any third party tools. Hope someone has some ideas. Thanks.

Hi, I am also about to embark on this project on grid computing. Would be involving programmings on vb.net and c#. Hope some experts can shed some light on this topic please. Thanks a million! :D

in vs2005 you can tap on "Tools", "Code Snippits Manager" and see if there might be some examples there to give you the process you are looking for.

How about we call them "server" and "client"? There is an example of network programming using sockets in the 2003 101 Samples. If there is no 2005 equivalent then just upgrade the 2003 version.

Hi, I guess you can make remote service as a server application and all other client will send information to this server about the status of exe running under them.
I mean before/after using exe by your client application they can manipulate the Contexts object which can also be shared by the server.
Thanx

Regards,
Abhishek Singh

Hi,

I guess your architecture will depend on what work your client are going to perform.

If you just need the client to send their status for their existance , just create a Windows service as a server with TCPListener and In your client Exe create a timer which, at a configurable time ,will connect to the server and send their status. On Server side you can also store the list of clients currently connected with their IP's and update the list at each connection. You can always verify from the list about the client that did not respond and take action.

Thanks,
Jay

Back