Is VB.net the best tool for this?

Aziah

Programming Experience
5-10
Hi,

I have this product in mind, which I plan to develop. The product have the following features:

1. The final product will be delivered in the form of a CD.
2. It's auto execute
3. User have to install the application into his/her pc, to use it. It can't be runned directly from the CD.
4. The application runs on window, not a browser. However, the application can be converted into web-enabled application without much modification.
5. The application includes a database of content, which can be updated via the internet. The database should reside in the user's computer.

I'm still considering for the perfect tool/language to use. At the moment, I'm thinking of using Flash and php. But php needs a web server like Apache to run. I don't want to make it a hassle for non-IT user to install it and to configure it.

Another thought is JAVA. I've used the language but not an expert in it. As for VB.net I'm very new to it. Hopefully someone could help me on this.

Whatever the tools/language , I'm willing to explore. But, I want to go for the best one that can meet the above five requirements.

I do really appreciate any recommendation. Thanks in advanced.

Thanks ManicCW for the response. But there is still some questions in my head. I have a feeling that VB.net has no problems in meeting the requirement of no.1-3. But for no.4 and no.5:

No.4....the application can be converted into web-enabled application without much modification.

Does it need ASP.net? Must I convert it into ASP.net to make it web-enabled? Or is VB.net itself is web enabled? Can you clarify on this. Does Vb.net needs IIS to make it web-enabled?

No.5 The application includes a database of content, which can be updated via the internet. The database should reside in the user's computer.

Is it possible in VB.net, to make application where the user can update the database via internet by just a few clicks. The user doesn't have to know the technical side of the database or doesn't even know that a dbms like mysql exist in his computer.

Please clarify on these. I'm a little blur on this. Thanks

if you're going to be distributing a database with your vb program you should use Access, otherwise deploying sqlserver stuff with your app can be a pain

whatever dabase you choose it is possible. the best solution for that is web services, so you dont have to convert it to asp.net, but you will have to build web services and put them on some server with static IP. as for updates yes it can also be done using web services!

Aziah said:
Thanks ManicCW for the response. But there is still some questions in my head. I have a feeling that VB.net has no problems in meeting the requirement of no.1-3. But for no.4 and no.5:

No.4....the application can be converted into web-enabled application without much modification.

Does it need ASP.net? Must I convert it into ASP.net to make it web-enabled? Or is VB.net itself is web enabled? Can you clarify on this. Does Vb.net needs IIS to make it web-enabled?

No.5 The application includes a database of content, which can be updated via the internet. The database should reside in the user's computer.

Is it possible in VB.net, to make application where the user can update the database via internet by just a few clicks. The user doesn't have to know the technical side of the database or doesn't even know that a dbms like mysql exist in his computer.

Please clarify on these. I'm a little blur on this. Thanks
#4 is going to be tough.... in any language.... primarily because window form components are inherently different from the Web Forms components. However. It will take some doing, but going from a windows app to a web app in .NET you should be able to recycle 75% of the code. But there isn't something where you can just flip an opti9on and suddenly it's a web app. And yes, that would mean ASP.NET would be used.

-tg

Back