Idea for small app, no idea where to start looking

Movian

Programming Experience
5-10
Hey,
I have a concept for an application that i myself would find useful, I have a fair amount of VB6 experience but an fairly new to .net.

The project i have in mind simply allows you to right click a folder (or any assigned key or mouse click combination) to display a new right click menu with the contents of the folder. This would allow you to view the contents of folders on your desktop similar to the start menu system (pre-windows8). I organize shortcuts on my desktop in sub folders by group and would like to be able to just right click on the folder and drill down through the right click menu to the shortcut/file i want. instead of having to actually open the folder in windows explorer.

I think i will need to look at hooking into windows to achieve this but don't have an idea of a starting point. Can anyone point me in the right direction for research so i can figure this out? Not above doing my own research just need a nudge in the right direction ^_^

Thanks in advance!

I did something similar to this a short while ago. I chose a different route than your direct approach though. I created an App-Bar and according as my projects required, I would drag and drop a folder onto one of several comboboxes on the App-Bar to add said folder's filename's into the combobox for quick access to them without the hassle of managing folders on the window.

Here is the link to the post on my thread with all the information you require if you would like to investigate that route:

http://www.vbdotnetforums.com/vb-ne...ge-default-bounds-windows-7-a.html#post151003

Back