Help with program idea

juggernot

Programming Experience
Beginner
Okay, this is the idea. It's basically a firewall. I want a program to monitor a computers ports, find out wether they are being used( not just listening, but actually sending or recieving information.) I then want the user to be prompted to accept or deny the connection, all port traffic being paused until the users input.

I don't really know my way around this stuff. All I really know about ports is that smtp is port 25, and internet is 80 I think. I've been experimenting with sockets and endpoints, but I don't really know what I'm doing. My first trouble is the beggining of my program: Bringing up a list of all ports. This is part one of my program. If anyone could help me make sense of this, I would be very grateful.

*Also, if anyone can give an example of sending and recieving information using tcp within vb.net, that would be a bonus.

Bringing up a list of ports could be tricky. There are a total of 65,535 possible ports to use, and the ones being used can, and most likely will, change at any given moment. Also, you might run into problems with killing connections that were initiated by system processes. This could be doable, but it will probably be tricky.

Back