Adding Multi-Language Support to an Application Program

renardanderson

Programming Experience
1-3
My application program currently only supports English, but I want to add support for several other languages, including Spanish, French, Chinese, and Russian. I want the default language to be English, but the user can change it in the Preference window. In the past, I have used an Excel file with columns for each language and rows for the text strings used in menus, labels, and message boxes in a VB6 application. I am unsure if this approach is still reasonable in a .NET environment. Can anyone provide some ideas or suggestions for implementing multi-language support in my application program?

Globalisation and localisation are built into .NET. Globalisation is making your program able to support multiple languages and localisation is making it support a specific language. You should read up on those two topics.

Multi-language support is achieved using resources. You create resources in your application with values in your default language. You can then add a satellite assembly - a DLL containing nothing but resources - with the same set of resource names with values in a different language. The assembly is named based on the culture of the resources. You should also read up on satellite assemblies.

Globalisation and localisation are built into .NET. Globalisation is making your program able to support multiple languages and localisation is making it support a specific language. You should read up on those two topics.

Multi-language support is achieved using resources. You create resources in your application with values in your default language. You can then add a satellite assembly - a DLL containing nothing but resources - with the same set of resource names with values in a different language. The assembly is named based on the culture of the resources. You should also read up on satellite assemblies.

thanks

Back