Question Getting file details

nineclicks

Programming Experience
Beginner
I'm trying to get file details from pictures and videos such as width and height without having to actually open the file. I plan on indexing a lot of files at once so if I could just grab the file details like the ones in a files properties menu that would help a lot. I know they are labeled differently for different files. Some are width and height, some are frame width and frame height.

Whenever I try to find information about this it always involves loading the file as a bitmap. Surely there is a way to just read the file details?

Thanks.

Last edited:
VB.NET:
    Dim fi As New FileInfo(fileName)
    Dim shl As Shell32.Shell = New Shell32.Shell
    Dim dir As Shell32.Folder = shl.[NameSpace](fi.DirectoryName)
    Dim itm As Shell32.FolderItem = dir.Items().Item(fi.Name)
    Dim itm2 As Shell32.ShellFolderItem = DirectCast(itm, Shell32.ShellFolderItem)

Dim IDdimensions as Integer

For i As Short = 0 To 400
                Dim name As String = dir.GetDetailsOf(dir.Items, i)
                If name.ToLower = "dimensions" Then IDdimensions = i
                If name = "" Then Exit For
            Next

Dim str As String = dir.GetDetailsOf(itm2, IDdimensions )

Took me some time to figure it out but I finally did. It looks like the numbers of each detail may be different for different people, I found someone who posted a lit of their and it was different from mine slightly. So there's a bit in there to get the detail by name and you can just add more to get more detail numbers. I declared the variables globally and set them to -1 so that it only has to do this once.

Back