Question Filtering Data source code problem

Programming Experience
Beginner
Hi , i am currently designing a Inventory Management System for my school Project , the add data edit data and delete data part of the software works for me but i am kinda stuck at the filtering data part and it does not seem to work at all . This is my source Code

Sub combobox_itemID()

Dim rs = New ADODB.Recordset

With rs
            .Open("Select ItemID from Inventory", cn, ADODB.CursorTypeEnum.adOpenDynamic, ADODB.LockTypeEnum.adLockOptimistic)
            ComboBox1.Items.Clear()
            .MoveFirst()
            While Not .EOF
                ComboBox1.Items.Add(.Fields(0).Value)
                .MoveNext()
            End While
            ComboBox1.Text = ComboBox1.Items(0)

End With
    End Sub

Private Sub ComboBox1_SelectedIndexChanged(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles ComboBox1.SelectedIndexChanged
        MessageBox.Show("Select Item ID - " & ComboBox1.Text)
        Dim lst
        Dim rs = New ADODB.Recordset
        ListView1.Items.Clear()
        With rs
            .Open("select t.ItemID,t.ItemName,t.ItemDescription,t.Quantity,t.Unit,t.Location,t.Cost,t.Status,t.DateReceived,t.Packed* from Inventory t,Warehouse s where t.ItemID=s.ItemID and s.ItemName='" & ComboBox1.Text & "'", cn, 2, 3)
            Do While Not .EOF
                lst = New ListViewItem
                lst = ListView1.Items.Add(.Fields(0).Value)
                lst.SubItems.Add(.Fields(1).Value)
                lst.SubItems.Add(.Fields(2).Value)
                lst.SubItems.Add(.Fields(3).Value)
                lst.SubItems.Add(.Fields(4).Value)
                lst.SubItems.Add(.Fields(5).Value)
                lst.SubItems.Add(.Fields(6).Value)
                lst.SubItems.Add(.Fields(7).Value)
                lst.SubItems.Add(.Fields(8).Value)
                lst.SubItems.Add(.Fields(9).Value)

.MoveNext()
            Loop

End With
    End Sub 

P.s I am really new to programming , i just started learning the language 4 weeks ago , sometimes i might not know what i am coding

It saddens me to see new programmers doing things completely the wrong way, indicating that there are some very poor teaching resources out there. Firstly, you are using ADO for data access, which is an old VB6 technology. You should be using ADO.NET. Also, you should not be using a ListView, but rather a DataGridView. What you want to do is extremely simple then. Create a data adapter and Fill a DataTable, bind the DataTable to a BindingSource and bind that to a DataGridView. When you want to filter, set the Filter property of the BindingSource.

It saddens me to see new programmers doing things completely the wrong way, indicating that there are some very poor teaching resources out there. Firstly, you are using ADO for data access, which is an old VB6 technology. You should be using ADO.NET. Also, you should not be using a ListView, but rather a DataGridView. What you want to do is extremely simple then. Create a data adapter and Fill a DataTable, bind the DataTable to a BindingSource and bind that to a DataGridView. When you want to filter, set the Filter property of the BindingSource.

i know it saddens me as well , in actual fact its sadden me alot . anyway i am thinking to use a bindingsource but it will affect the other parts of my programming of my ListView , is there any other way i can do it without changing my ListView or using the same connection? ? ( p.s my Supervisor of this project doesn recommend using binding source as he said it is unprofessional ( which is ironic i am just a noob at coding ) ) .

It is totally incredible that someone would call using a BindingSource unprofessional while advocating putting data access code in a form and using ADO in that data access code. I'm sorry to say that, while your supervisor may be able to knock out a program that gets the job done, they simply don't know what they're talking about when it comes to VB.NET development. A sobering thought for you, I'm sure, and I'm afraid that you're going to have to unlearn a reasonable amount of what you've been taught.

I'm afraid that I'm not going to try to fix any ADO code because I've never used ADO and I never want to use ADO and noone writing code in VB.NET should be using ADO either.

It is totally incredible that someone would call using a BindingSource unprofessional while advocating putting data access code in a form and using ADO in that data access code. I'm sorry to say that, while your supervisor may be able to knock out a program that gets the job done, they simply don't know what they're talking about when it comes to VB.NET development. A sobering thought for you, I'm sure, and I'm afraid that you're going to have to unlearn a reasonable amount of what you've been taught.

I'm afraid that I'm not going to try to fix any ADO code because I've never used ADO and I never want to use ADO and noone writing code in VB.NET should be using ADO either.

erm my supervisor does not teach me coding just access my work . sadly to say i learn everything through youtube ... when i started this work i have totally no coding background at all , anyway thanks , i will try to solve it on my own

OK then, I apologise to your supervisor. I'm afraid that, where data access is concerned, you have either been given bad information or you have looked in the wrong place because, while ADO works in VB.NET, that is primarily for compatibility with upgraded VB6 code. Noone should be writing new code using ADO unless it's for consistency with code that was upgraded from VB6 that already uses ADO. You should change all your data access code immediately. You should also replace your ListView with a DataGridView but that is of secondary importance. Here are some code examples of common ADO.NET scenarios:

Retrieving and Saving Data in Databases

OK then, I apologise to your supervisor. I'm afraid that, where data access is concerned, you have either been given bad information or you have looked in the wrong place because, while ADO works in VB.NET, that is primarily for compatibility with upgraded VB6 code. Noone should be writing new code using ADO unless it's for consistency with code that was upgraded from VB6 that already uses ADO. You should change all your data access code immediately. You should also replace your ListView with a DataGridView but that is of secondary importance. Here are some code examples of common ADO.NET scenarios:

Retrieving and Saving Data in Databases

Thanks i will look into it

Actually, I just took a closer look at your original code and I noticed that you are populating the ComboBox with values from the Inventory.ItemID column but, when the user selects a value, you use it to filter by the Warehouse.ItemName column. That doesn't seem to make sense.

Actually, I just took a closer look at your original code and I noticed that you are populating the ComboBox with values from the Inventory.ItemID column but, when the user selects a value, you use it to filter by the Warehouse.ItemName column. That doesn't seem to make sense.

do u mean Warehouse ItemID , coz the Warehouse Item ID and Inventory Item ID shares a primary key in the database

do u mean Warehouse ItemID , coz the Warehouse Item ID and Inventory Item ID shares a primary key in the database
No, I don;t mean that. Take a look at your code.
VB.NET:
where t.ItemID=s.ItemID and s.[B][U]ItemName[/U][/B]='" & ComboBox1.Text & "'"

It should be obvious that if you have values from the ItemID column then you can only use them to filter in the ItemID column and if you actually want to filter by the ItemName column then you need to use a value from the ItemName column.

It should be obvious that if you have values from the ItemID column then you can only use them to filter in the ItemID column and if you actually want to filter by the ItemName column then you need to use a value from the ItemName column.
erm i tried to change the coding to t.itemID but still it doesn work

Back