Question Critical decision .DBF .BTR - or?

sadhramani

Programming Experience
1-3
Hello team,

I am in a very critical situation, wherein I will have to take an important decision. I have some existing C programs. Those C programs takes input from .DBF (dBase III) files and .BTR (BTRIEVE) files.

I have been given 2 options:

1) Convert .DBF files to .BTR files and .BTR files to .DBF files. These convertion can be done using .NET. If yes, give me some code snippets or some links where I can get the code.
2) Or using .NET is there any other way to replace this BTRIEVE concept itself? In other ways, instead of BTRIEVE, can we go for some other technology?

Pls advise....

I'd import the data into a more modern database system and go from there. Oracle and SQL Server both exist in free versions and integrate well with Visual Studio

Critical decision

But my client is not comfortable in changing the database part from Pervasive to any modern database system.

The client wants me to convert .DBF file to .BTR file using .NET and Pervasive SQL.

If he's the one paying you the money that you'll use to feed yourself, and you cannot convince him that moving to a more modern database system will save time, money, increase performance and make his system more future proof then you either you give him what he wants or ask him to find someone else who will

Back