Question Converting windows application to web based

kashifkkh

Programming Experience
Beginner
I have developed a windows application. The application is basically a console that helps the user to launch multiple 3rd partly applications e.g. MS word.exe, MSExcel.exe, Windows calculator etc. The application is currently running fine as windows application. Generally launches applications through Process.Start() method.

Now, I am planning to release a web based version of my application. My idea is that if the user has access to my application through web, he/she can run MSword, Excel and all applications which are available through my application.

kindly guide me how I can achieve this. Thanks..!

My first instinct is to wonder why anyone would want a web-based launcher for applications installed on their local machine. You say:
My idea is that if the user has access to my application through web, he/she can run MSword, Excel and all applications which are available through my application.
What if the user doesn't have access to your application through the web? Should they just not use the applications they have installed?

My first instinct is to wonder why anyone would want a web-based launcher for applications installed on their local machine. You say:What if the user doesn't have access to your application through the web? Should they just not use the applications they have installed?

i don't want to launch application on client system. i want the application to be available through browser user access the server and launch the application through browser.
is this possible?
how can i achieve this?

thanks..!

How exactly would the user access Windows Calculator running on your server via their web browser? Even if it could be done, exposing Word and Excel like that would be a violation of the license agreement. It is possible for a client to run an application on a remote server but there's a lot more to it than simply opening a web page. Basically all you can display to the user via a browser is a web page. When you open a PDF or a Word DOCX or the like in your browser, it's making use of an application installed on the client's own machine. If the user doesn't have Adobe Reader or Microsoft Word or equivalent installed then they can't view the document. What you're asking for is simply not practical, probably not possible and almost certainly not legal.

Back