Can't use network printer.

TwoWing

Programming Experience
Beginner
Hello. I suppose this might be related to programming because I want to print my code in VB.net that I am working on from my laptop which is connected to my main computer (away somewhere) by hard wire.
There are two things that pop up when trying to sort it out: One is that the names that I put down are not recognised and, 2, when browsing in the 'Add printer' wizard it doesn't find my printer. I have checked and checked and done all different combinations but still no joy. Is there one here that can sort it out. PLEASE. TW.

is the printer set up in the OS? if windows doesn't have the printer set up then the PrintDialog wont find it either

as for: 'the names that I put down are not recognized' what names are you even talking about?

also how exactly are the two computers networked:
are both computers connected to a router/switch/hub with an Ethernet cable?
are they connected directly with an Ethernet crossover cable?
are the directly connected with a usb cable?

The printer must be shared by the remote machine where it is attached (since it's not a standalone network printer with its own IP address). Select the printer in Printers folder and use context menu or File>Sharing. Now the shared printer has a network path \\machinename-or-IP\printersharename

Hello. Thank you for your interest and help. To help let me start again.
I have desktop (with Windows XP) connected to printer by USB and it prints ok.
I connect laptop(with Windows XP) to desktop by crossover cable from RJ 45 to Ethernet on desktop. Then switch on. I check Windows Firewall exceptions on both computers that File and Printer Sharing is checked. I check that Local Area Connection is OK.
I can get onto internet from laptop.
I go to Control Panel on desktop > Printers and Faxes. I right-click on printer icon to get properties. I give share name as CanonPIXMAiP2000 and click ”Share this printer” I click “Apply” and “OK”.
I check that Full computer name as “Allomas”
I go to laptop> open Control Panel> Printers and Faxes>Add A Printer.
In Add Printer Wizard I clicked “A network printer”>NEXT> I clicked “Connect to this printer” and put in name, \\Allomas\CanonPIXMAiP2000. I clicked Next and got message, ”Windows cannot connect to this printer, either the printer name was incorrect or the specified printer has lost its connection to the server.”
However, I went to “Browse for Printer” and in Shared printers I got, “Microsoft Windows Network”.
In the textbox called, “Printer”. I put in, ‘CanonPIXMAiP2000’. I then selected “Yes” as it to be default printer. Then I got message to say that Add Printer was successful.
In Printers and Faxes Dialog box the printer icon had a tick next to it and text saying, “Ready”.
When I got a document and clicked “Print”, I got a printer icon in the Task Bar just for a few seconds - but no print. Please help because I am lost in what to do.
Thanks. TW.

Hello. The printer prints anything I want printed from my desktop computer. ie from Word, WordPad , NotePad, VB.Net, Paint, ArcSoft.
Would the trouble lie in the Port? It seems to me that it wants to print but can't get to it! I have tried different Ports but I would not know what to put. Glad you're helping.

I meant do any programs like Word, Notepad, etc... on the laptop print anything (do those programs use the desktop's printer correctly through the network)?

If none of the other programs print correctly on the laptop then the issue is most likely with windows and how it's connected with the crossover cable.

Hello. Sorry. I misread you. I can't get anything to print from the laptop.
I am certainly learning somethings about computers I didn't know before.
I just cannot see how it can't connect with printer.

Back