brother/sister forums

Anti-Rich

Programming Experience
1-3
hi all,

i was just wondering, does this forum have any affiliate or brother/sister sites in other languages? (ie. C#.NET Forums - the exclusive C#.net community). i like the community in this form, and since i have just decided to port my employers project to C# (i have that flexibility, lucky me) i would like to know of any good C# forums similar in community response and attitudes as this one. the people here are extremely smart and helpful and i would not want to lose that just because i am doing my project in a different language.

cheers for any feedback
regards
adam

ps. i will still be visiting the forums regularly as my preferred language is vb.net, im just doing my project in C# to increase my skill set for my resume.

cheers for the reply neal,

thats a shame, maybe you should just rename yourselves .NET Forums, and have a VB.NET section and a C#.NET section? :p (i realise that this would mean insane amounts of change and extra work, i am only joking :))

*sigh* this means i have to search for a C# forum, does anyone know of any good c# forums? i dont really like the msdn forums, as people tend to just not reply to posts at all (which is how i found this site, a stark contrast considering you almost always get a reply in a day or two here).

cheers
adam

Neal could convert this site to a VB.net and C# forum which I would not mind, but with the popularity of C# I think there are plenty of other forums out on the web already

it's hard enough to find an example that was not done in C# these days

i can understand the popularity of C#, as i have been using it for a couple of days, and i am starting to really get into the swing of things... its a bit different to vb.net in how things are done but once you get used to it its actually not too bad :)

cheers for the response :)
adam

its a bit different to vb.net in how things are done

It's largely syntax, some aspects like loops are more flexible and the language is more concise, consistent and clean. I also find the IDE more powerful, because, by default, all the noddy options are switched off/dont exist and there is no legacy compatibility layer enabled..

They are, however, pretty much the same thing. If you need help with specific bits, you can ask me via PM, or for longer questions like you;d want to ask to a forum, you can try www.codeguru.com - me and jMc hover there, however, I do prefer the "feel" of this place..

..and as a result, I tend to even ask my C# questions here; you can ask pretty much any .NET question in a way that doesnt require you to use the syntax.. If youre puzzled what I mean, search the forum for all threads I've ever started; 95% of them are asking about a problem i'm having with an app in C#, but I'm either asking in .NET abstract terms that apply to both syntaxes, or I've used a C# to VB converter to post some small snippet of code to outline a principle; they usually work well enough for this meagre purpose, but of course you should sense check the code before you post it :D

it's hard enough to find an example that was not done in C# these days

True true, and that is one of the main reasons why I advocate using .NET core functions (MessageBox.Show) rather than VB6 legacy compatibility functions/wrappers (MsgBox) wherever possible, because using the modern syntax makes it a lot easier for the VBN programmer to read other .NET syntaxes..

cheers for the link cjard, i signed up straight away. the forum seems pretty good too, MUCH bigger than here! well, the number of threads/posts were much bigger. not sure about actual users! :p

i like the look and feel of this place as well, i have tried using C# Corner but its just not the same. their forum system isnt bad, but after using this you realise how much some other sites are missing out on!

have a good one guys
adam

Back