working with charts

Sajan Jacob

Programming Experience
3-5
In VB.Net desktop application, real-time charts are plotted based on the inputs from a motor.
Initially the charts plot very well but after some time, say for 4-5 minutes, the plotting become slow and on click of any controls it shows the white screen.
If the charts are avoided the application works as intended.
Is there any way to resolve this issue?

We have absolutely no idea what you're doing so there's no way that we can know what you're doing wrong. All we know is that you're displaying charts, but that could mean just about anything. Maybe you're drawing your own with GDI+. Maybe you're using the standard Microsoft chart control. Maybe you're using some third-party control that none of us have ever heard of before. Maybe you're doing something else.

You're going to have to do a much more thorough analysis of what your code is actually doing. You could start by working out exactly where the slow part is and work out what's different between when it runs quickly and when it runs slowly. I would guess that you are collecting more and more data over time but that's just a guess.

Hi, I think you need to refresh the control as well as refresh the form on which you are using the chart control. Because I also faced this problem while developing an application which has interaction with plc motor & electronic probes.

Regards,
Abdul Wahid

on click of any controls it shows the white screen
That usually indicates you're tying up the UI thread too much for normal events and windows messages to operate. You should do as much processing as possible on a background thread and only interact with and update UI when necessary. Even for "real time" updates, if these can be done only every second, it could mean everything for the responsiveness of the application.

Back