Why am I suddenly getting a SecurityException?

JeremyR

Programming Experience
5-10
Hi,
I'm fairly new to .NET in general, and very new to VB.NET. I'm maintaining a VB.NET app that has never had any security issues before, and indeed when installing the app on a customer's machine we don't change any security policy stuff at all (so it should be the default "allow everything to run" I imagine).

The problem is that on monday, one of our users (who has been using the app very happily for several weeks with no problems) cannot run the app any more because every time he starts it it crashes with a security exception:

"The application attempted to perform an operation not allowed by the security policy. The operation required the security exception. To grant the application the required permission please contact your system administrator, or use the Microsoft .NET security policy administration tool."

Other users on the same machine (Windows 2000 server) logged in as themselves can use the app with no problems, but he can't. He can run this app on any other machine, but not on the server (which is the one machine he wishes to run it on).

I'm not too hot on .NET security policy but I've had a look at the simple Windows user permissions on all the files (exe and dll) used by this app and have had a nose around in the .NET confiuration snap-in in the control panel, but can't see anything different between the settings in there and the default settings on any other machine.

Edit: One other thing I've tried since originally posting this, was to ask him to log out, rename his home folder (under "Documents & Settings") to something else, and get him to log in again, so that all his settings are re-created, hopefully including the .NET security config files. He still has the same problem.

I'd be grateful for any help or suggestions.

Cheers,

Jeremy

Last edited:
Back