vs2010 windows deployment problem

tcl4p

Programming Experience
1-3
I have a windows forms application and would like to deploy the application. However the way I use to deployment applications seems to have changed under vs2010. I tried to follow the instructions in the "Walkthrough:Deploying a Windows based Application", but ran into problems. The problem I run into is when I get to the "Add Project Output Group" dialog, it has no project files to select and nothing in the configuration drop down. In vs 2008 I would have selected the New Project from the project in the solution explorer, but in vs2010 that option is not available and the Walkthrough documentation starts from the "File" menu. I assume since I went through the File menu instead from the actual project, there was nothing pointing to my project, which is why there were no files to select.
Is there something I'm missing in the process of building a deployment package? Did I miss something in connecting the project to the deployment project?
Any help would be appreciated.

Tom

First, thanks for the reply. With regard to adding a setup project to the solution, in the past I would do this by going to the solution explorer, right clicking and then click on new project. Within VS 2010, that ability is not included. If I click on add new item, setup is not available. Then again, I'm probably missing something, which is not unusual.

Tom

Which edition of VS are you using? For me, Setup project is under Other Project Types -> Setup & Deployment -> Visual Studio Installer, which is pretty similar to where it's always been.

I found the problem and as usual it was right before my eyes. In setting up the deployment I found you just don't go into "File" menu and get to the Setup and Deployment dialog after bringing up VS. You have to 1. open your project and 2. When the dialog comes up where you select "Setup Project" you have to drop down the "Solution" combo box and select Add to Solution. This will add the set up to your solution explorer. That said, I did encounter one problem that you might help with. While the deployment package was built correctly and the installation on a new pc went well, I did not see the program in the list of programs after you click the start button. I ended up going into the Program Files and making a short cut of the exe on the desktop, but I thought the program would have been added to the list.
Did I miss something in building the Setup Project?

Tom

To add any new project to any new solution I right-click the solution in the Solution Explorer and select Add New Project.

Shortcuts do not get created automatically in a Setup project. If you want shortcuts then you have to add them in the File System editor.

Back