Visual Studio Version 2003

JohnM

Programming Experience
1-3
Don't Laugh.

I want to upgrade to a better version of .net but something that isn't so far advanced than my current version (Visual Studio 2003) , that I would be lost, something that is better though.

What would you recommend to go to next from this version?

Thank you for your advice

John M:wavey:

There's really no reason not to use the latest version, which is 2012, unless you specifically need compatibility with someone using an older version. Even then, VS 2012 can actually open and edit VS 2010 projects without upgrading them so they can still be opened in VS 2010.

Even though improvements have been made each time, the core of VS is still the same throughout. The Windows Forms designer still works the same way; the Solution Explorer, Toolbox and Properties windows all still work the same way; etc. You should probably start with VS 2012 Express for Windows Desktop, which will allow you to write Windows apps (WinForms, Console, WPF, libraries, etc.) in VB and C#.

Pretty much everything you do/did in VS.NET 2003 will be valid in all later versions, although there were a number of things that became obsolete with the move to VS 2005. You can still use them but there are better options. Any of the really new stuff is available to you but certainly doesn't need to be used if you don't want to do so.

If you're using VS 2003 then you probably also use Windows XP. Minimum OS for VS 2012 is Windows 7, and you would have to go for VS 2010 Express instead. They're available from same download page.

Thnak you

If you're using VS 2003 then you probably also use Windows XP. Minimum OS for VS 2012 is Windows 7, and you would have to go for VS 2010 Express instead. They're available from same download page.

Thanks for the advice... I really want to upgrade and just wasn't sure about what would happen if I did in terms of a new learning curve... you reduce my anxiety well. John M

Back