vb6 to vb.net

pryspr01

Programming Experience
Beginner
Hi, not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I was researching possible platforms to migrate to from VB6. I work for a company that offers school administration software that runs colleges/universities. It's been suggested we move from VB6 to VB.NET, but I'm sure there are more issues than that. Can anyone give me any ideas on what to expect with VB.NET, as in its pros and cons, or possible barriers that could delay the move? Thanks!

First off.... when considering doing this... don't even consider the upgrade wizard. Thow that option right out. It would be much better to re-write the app(s) from scratch.

There's a lot of syntax that's different. And if you are doing anything with a database ADO.NET is totaly different as well.

Pick up some books, read through postings, and ask questions.

-tg

Yea the whole program is based upon a student database, I guess I'll have to read up on ADO.NET. I read something about VB.NET having issues with large tables, didn't know if there was any validity to this.

Only if you try to load all of the tables into memory.... but then that goes for anything, and any language. If VB.NET does have a problem with large tables... I have yet to find out what it is....

-tg

pryspr01 said:
Yea the whole program is based upon a student database, I guess I'll have to read up on ADO.NET. I read something about VB.NET having issues with large tables, didn't know if there was any validity to this.

Hi Pryspr01,
Where you read this (about issues with large tables)? Could you please provide a link toward it?

Regards ;)

Back