VB.NET Forums and PHP

ScottyB

Programming Experience
5-10
I am pleased to see a really good resource available for VB.NET developers in the form of VB.NET forums.

But the one thing that I have been curious about is why a VB.NET forum uses PHP as a technology to run the forums.

I do not want to start a religious war. I am a programmer with a preference for VB.NET and .NET in general and can see the benefits and disadvantages of the relevant languages for specific tasks.

As I said I am just curious.

Regards

ScottyB

The question is "Do you want to spend 5 mins and have a forum up and running or do you want to spend months writing something that has been readily available?"

Time to maket often taken into consideration before making the decision to write your piece of software.

OK,

Point taken.

Why reinvent the wheel?

Thanks

The question is "Do you want to spend 5 mins and have a forum up and running or do you want to spend months writing something that has been readily available?"

Time to maket often taken into consideration before making the decision to write your piece of software.

We started out with a .NET forum software and it just didn't have the features, performance, searchability, usability, of vBulletin. vBulletin is an amazing forum product and kills all .NET forum'ware on the market. We decided to use what is the best forum solution and not just have a .NET solution because the forum is a topic of .NET.

I am pleased to see a really good resource available for VB.NET developers in the form of VB.NET forums.

But the one thing that I have been curious about is why a VB.NET forum uses PHP as a technology to run the forums.

Er.. thats like asking why VB.NET Studio uses a compiler written in C, on an operating system written in C.. It might even be as crazy as saying "Hey, why do you put Michelin tyres on your BMW.. Its a German car, those tyres are made in France"

Language A is always going to have some reliance on another language. It doesnt make sense to rewrite Windows in VB.NET just so VB.NET Studio can be run in a "pure" VB.NET environment.. It might satisfy a purist, but it doesnt make sense to reinvent every perfectly good wheel in every language

Back