Upgrading VB to VB.NET

jdevine5

Programming Experience
3-5
Hi All,

I need to develop a spreadsheet used to calculate the time it will take to upgrade many applications from VB to VB.NET. As I am relatively inexperienced in the languages I was hoping for ideas as to what factors need to be considered that impact upon the time the upgrade will take.

Eg. the spreadsheet will calculate an amount of time taken based on the number of lines of code, ie lines of code is a factor, as is editing interfaces, and modifying the screens. If anybody has any ideas please feel free to suggest them.

Cheers

Jonathan :)

you can use the vb forms ,as u include them in ur project a migration wizard will appear ,it will change the code to a extent into VB.net ,but you have to changes some things in the code by urself.

1) Don't use the migration wizards. You'll end up having to re-write huge chunks anyways. Why do the work twice?

2) Don't even try to esitmate the time. Some code will be faster than others. Some code will need to be completely rewritten - even after the migration.

Everyone's coding is different. Some people will code faster than others. Also VB.NET is a "new" language, so there's going to be a learning curve.

-tg

Back