Sql Server 2005 concurrent users

SANCHIT SHARMA

Programming Experience
10+
We are going to provide some software solution on VB.Net 2005 and SQL server 2005. SQL Server comes with min 5 concurent users. and the total no of users going to work on thae application are 100.

My quest am i supposed to buy 100 user license SQL Server 2005 or the min. user license will serve my purpose. As VB.Net 2005 solutions using ADO.Net works in a disconnected manner. So at any time all the 100 users will not be direcly interacting with the server..

Thus instead of 100 , small quantity od users say so 20 or 5 only will serve the purpose.

For running this application , will there be requirement of SQL client on the cl;ient machine...

Pls help, and corret me

Regards

Doesnt mattter that ADO.NET is disconnected; it maintains conenctions to SQLS but the licensing system doesnt work on connections. You either:

License the server CPU for a lot of money
Licence the client device for a little money
Licence the client human for a little money

CPU licensing is typically used for websites, where thousands of users are present.
If your staff each have one PC then there is no difference between USER and DEVICE CALs.
If you have a staff of 50 and 10 PCs each staff works one day per week, buy 10 DEVICE CALs.
If you have 10 staff each with 2 PCs on desk, a laptop and a phone all accessing the database then buy 10 USER CALs

Back