Question Connecting Visual Basic 2010 Express to SQL Server 2008 Express Database via IP

Programming Experience
Beginner
Hi there VB.NET Community!

Im an okay programmer as far as skill right now I am still learning as we all are ;) I need some help from some experienced VB.NET programmers in the community, I appreciate any and all help. Thanks
Here is the scoop:

I am trying to make a user account SQL database work with Visual Basic 2008 Express for login purposes, i.e. usernames & passwords.
Plan is to host this server so people can login to use the the application and verify they have a valid account. I would like to host all the account information in SQL due to the possiblity of hundreds of users at any given time. I also need the ability to add data to the database for users registering for the first time. The SQL server will need to be able to access the SQL Server databases remote via WAN.

Thanks again!

-Ryan

im also facing a problem kind off the same as ryan,
i installed SQL2008, i can connect to it locally(where the server is running on)
but once i open up my laptop and try to connect to my sql server on the other pc it doesnt work.
i have to chose between windows authentication or sql server authentication, but where do i fill out the windows login of the pc? before logging in to the sql.
firewall is disabled.
thanks.

As with all installations of SQL server, TCP/IP is not selected as a valid protocol by default when you create a new instance. Open the Configuration Manager and under protocols enable TCP/IP. Note that you will also have to configure firewall rules.

Back