SQL Server Compact database size

RK62

Programming Experience
3-5
I need a free database with my .NET desktop application. It must be shipped to the final user along with the application when the application is installed without any additional hassle or any additional installation procedures by the user.

I use Visual Studio 2010 and saw SQL Server Compact 3.5 database can be shipped for free. The application will retrieve data from a remote server every day so the database will become larger over time. I'm concerned with the 4GB limit the SQL Server Compact 3.5 has. The data is only plain tables (no relational data), but the amount of rows is huge and grows constantly.

Is there a way to forecast if 4GB is enough for my purpose?
Is there any other alternative free database that I could use instead of SQL Server Compact?

Add up the size of the data you expect to have to store and if it's less then 4GB then you're good, otherwise you're not.

I would obviously do that should I have the data in hand now but I don't. Does the database size increase linearly? If I have for example a table with 50 columns and 1,000,000, rows but expect to have 2,000,000 rows after one year, can I estimate my database size will double?

I would obviously do that should I have the data in hand now but I don't.
Oh, and here's me thinking that every developer had all the data on hand that their database would ever have to hold. I said to add up the size of the data that YOU EXPECT to have to store. Surely you have an expectation of what data the database will have to store in the future. Noone said that the reality is guaranteed to match that expectation.
Does the database size increase linearly? If I have for example a table with 50 columns and 1,000,000, rows but expect to have 2,000,000 rows after one year, can I estimate my database size will double?
What results did you get when you tested for yourself?

Ok, based on the initial testing I expect 4GB is not enough at some point in time. So should I go for other alternatives then right away, and what are they?

I believe SQLite is effectively unlimited as far as file size is concerned, so you could use that if you want a file-based database. SQL Server Express will support up to 10 GB and you can then upgrade to a full SQL Server instance simply by changing the connection string in the config file if required.

I believe SQLite is effectively unlimited as far as file size is concerned, so you could use that if you want a file-based database. SQL Server Express will support up to 10 GB and you can then upgrade to a full SQL Server instance simply by changing the connection string in the config file if required.

SQLite sounds interesting as it is unlimited size. Can you outline the main differences between those three alternatives. Why would anybody use SQL Server Compact for example?

My main point of interests are the unlimited size, easy development with .NET (synchronization services needed), free download and distributing, multi-user access to the database as well as the file-based database (since all the users are not expected to have any dabase systems).

I've never actually used SQLite myself but I've heard that it does a good job and is easy to work with. One of the main attractions of using SQL Server CE is the tight integration you get with VS. Personally, I would never use a file-based database for a multi-client application other than as a local cache.

Thanks. I will try SQLite and see how it works. Local cache is here what I'm mostly looking for.

You what? You want a 10 GB local cache? I think not.
Looks like I actually remembered that 10 GB figure from one of my own previous posts but still, you said that 4 GB will not be enough so that is still not a local cahce.

Back