Smart Device Debugging - Windows CE

shawleigh17

Programming Experience
Beginner
Hi, I am writing a program to run on a Windows CE device. I have a timer that runs and displays data on the device during debugging, but I am wondering if there is a way to write to a text file on my desktop. Is there a way to do this, or does everything have to run from the device? If is not possible to write to a text file on my computer, is there a way to write to a website that I can view from my desktop? I am trying to test the life of a battery, and so I will need to run until the battery dies. If all files must be on the device, I will lose all of the data. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Shawna

Most devices do have a backup battery. So if the main batt dies, the unit turns off and can not be turned on again, until the main batt has some power.

If you store the data in the flash mem it will survive anyway (iirc)

You could programmatically turn of the device when batt falls under a certain level. The remaining lifetime could be calculated from the data collected before the device turned off. Might not be exact, but saying that a certain device/batt has a lifetime of x minutes isn't possible anyway, because it depends on the usage of the device anyway.

"Writing" too a website would be possible too, but given the above options would probably not give any better results - imho

Or even write to a SQL CE database on the device, in case the power shuts off whilst writing the text file :D

Back