Rows per section

dreamtime

Programming Experience
1-3
I have been asking a number of question recently and I have realised I am having trouble due to my method of using Crystal Reports. In fact, I think I have now grasped how I should be attempting to do what I need and Crystal Report should do this with no problem. I am at fault. The final bit I am stumped with is this...

I wish to pass a dataset to a crystal report. The template has several sections which will be suppressed or not suppressed depending on the dataset. Each section is a new page and I need each page to display the next row in the dataset.

Uhh! Let's say I have 100 reports, 10 reports per person, and 10 sections in the template. When a complete template is printed it should be a 10 page booklet, 1 booklet per person. So I need to pass all 100 rows in a dataset to the template and section 1 needs to show row 1, section 2 row 2......section 10 row 10......loop (next persons report).....section 1 row 11...section 2 row 12.

Is this possible? Any thoughts would be great as I am in the middle of a print and printing troubles have prompted a need for an alternative to my current sloppy code!

If you are programmer you shouldn't ever ask "is this possible?". Everything is possible ... sometimes easier sometimes harder (it's only a matter of time when you'll find solution)

Ok, let's back to the Q. I think you can start from here ... take a look at this thread ( i assure you if you find sense in this you will never ask again anything like this about CR) http://www.vbcity.com/forums/topic.asp?tid=10205

Cheers ;)

Kulrom,

I appreciate the link, although I did not find the information I need. May I ask how you would go about this type of project?

I originally had seperate templates which I scrolled through and printed but this has caused so much hassle. So I tried to find a way of combining them using subreports but again, this is not without problems. Then it struck me to put them all into one report (I had avoided this previously due to the large amount of time it will take to copy all the old templates into one - crystal reports .net does not like copying and pasting multiple objects (is this resolved in newer versions?) - however, it may now afford me some additional benefits).

I had hoped that adding multiple sections and choosing each section to be on a different page ('new page after' option) would automatically move onto the next row in the dataset. This is not so. I searched for such a function in the report designer and programming but have not found anything.

Each dataset has 30+ columns and 15 pages (max). I could lay them out flat I guess but the would make a 450 column dataset (!) - I guess that could potentially work but I do not know if access has limits - also it does not seem an elegant solution. Plus this would cause other hassles that would dissapear if I could have a new row per section (I could supress a section if there is no data for it). I can identify which row needs to go in which section. Just no way to tell that section to look for that row.

:mad: !

Cheers

Sorry i cannot advice you on how to do that as i'm using CR for only very urgent situation ... otherwise i'm using (maybe many people will not agree with me) custom reports and if i use CR that would be like follows: 1st i retrieve data from DB through the form and just pass values to the formulas or text objects.

Cheers ;)

I have had an idea on this...

In a Crystal Report template is it possible to suppress a section depending on a value from the retrieved dataset?

ie. section 1 - if x <> y then suppress
section 2 - if x <> y2 then suppress

This would sort of have the same effect I guess.

Back