Resolution Problem

Rakesh Rao

Programming Experience
Beginner
Hi ,
Am makin a windows application. This is basically designed on a resolution of 768X1024. But when i change the resolution of my windows, the controls on the form get abnormal in size and get beyond the screen. I want to make it in such a way that the change in resolution can't affect the looks.

I have tried with the screen.primaryscreen and a several other ways. I have also used an api. But it can change the resolution of the system. It is of no use in my problem.
Any one, if knows how to do please help me. It's urgent.
Thanx a lot in advance.

Rakesh Rao

The resolution of the current screen should have no effect on how your form looks. The only reason your form would look different is if either the development machine or the production machine are set at a resolution that does not use square pixels. Obviously your controls will look bigger or smaller depending on the resolution, but the proportions will remain unchanged. If your creating your forms for a resolution with a width of 1024 then of course most people will not be able to see the whole form. You should be developing these days based on the assumption that your user will be using an 800x600 resolution. Many will be using greater but very few will be using smaller, so that should be considered the lowest common denominator. Your users will have set their resolution to whatever they feel comfortable with based on what their hardware can support, what their eyesight is like and how much they want to fit on their screen. You should simply use controls of the standard sizes, which the IDE creates for you, with no forms that extend beyond 800x600. Past that you should let the user worry about what the form looks like on their system. I have set the resolution of my monitors based on the assumtion that developers will follow just those guidelines.

Back