Replace icons

Take0n

Programming Experience
1-3
Hello

I have VB .NET 2005 and I want do know if there is a way to replace an icon inside an .exe/.dll file just like microangelo's librarian does.

I have found a way to view the icons inside a file (i.e. an .exe file) but how can I replace those icons with custom icons?

If this is not possible is there another way to change icons for different file types like replacing the icon Windows use for .txt files or folder with custom icons?

Thanks in advance

Take0n

If you mean you want your program to have a custom icon, that is easy. You open you project, double-click My Project, Choose Application on the left, click on Icon, and then click browse. You will have to select a .ico file for the icon. I have also found a free program to create these by drawing or from pictures. Just Google "IconEasel XP".

Hope this helps,
Chris

i think he wants to make a program that can add/remove/replace icon's in other people's exe/dll files, not his own

Take a look at ResHack (google it).

Well if I just wanted to make a replacement I would use microangelo as I mentioned in my example above... the fact is that I want to make my own... =)

I know a couple of such apps making what I want to do but I have no need in changing icons in som specific prog. I just want to make my own app for such things

ResHack has a command line interface so you may be able to ship it with your app and then hand-off to ResHack to do what you need - an option to consider.

thanks

Well thats something I didn't know!
but how do I do that I mean reshack consists of an .exe file only are there any threads here or a faq maybe about this? I will google it though

Thank you!

(this is not solved cause I really want to know how to do this with my own code, its only a solution in case I can't make it out my own)

Back