Question Program to make a list of every character possibilty

Haxaro

Programming Experience
1-3
I have made a program that makes and saves every possibility of characters under 7 characters (so far), and it takes about 10 mins to make one million possibilities... this is about 1800 possibilities per second (differering on different CPU's and RAM's)

How can i make it more efficient, because i have made some basic calculations, and if i wanted 7 digits of every possible character combination, it will take about 7 billion possibilities... If i had 10 mins per million, that is a long time.. any more efficient methods???

(See attached source)

Attachments

• Dictionary Maker.zip
    91.9 KB · Views: 24
Last edited by a moderator:
yes,

I would use a thread ... and if you do this on a multicore machine you could use multiple threads (using the new parallel namespace ... you would have to download it)

but I would also use a for loop

for count = 32 to 126
current = chr(count)
next

and when you get above 1 character you should use the stringbuilder class

Thanks for your reply,
So does a for loop does the count for you; i.e. - i do not need to do the i = i + 1..

And what is the string builder class?

Finally, if i was to implement the above changes, how much faster could it become?

string builder is a class that lets you append text to a string ... its much faster then adding the string appending it to a normal string ... i don't know exactly how much faster you can make this ... but you could probably double the speed atleast ...

A string variable allocates space in memory the same as any other declared variables. The odd part about string variable though, when you concetanate a string, it doesnt actually update the original allocated variable, it instead creates a new allocated space in memory.

A string builder class is much faster as stated above and more efficient on memory. Concatenation in a string builder line is still slower then if you create a seperate append in your string builder too. Its seems odd to write so many append lines for long strings but it is much faster.

As to the speed of your program I would say there are many spots to improve upon besides this point. The use of timer events going off constantly is another thing slowing your program.

This is a sample directly from the help file but it isnt actually the most efficient use of it...

VB.NET:
Private Function StringBuilderTest() As String

Dim builder As New System.Text.StringBuilder

For i As Integer = 1 To 1000
        builder.Append("Step " & i & vbCrLf)
    Next

Return builder.ToString

End Function

First of all you can see that it still uses concatenation in each line it creates. It actually runs faster creating a seperate .append instead of contenating.

VB.NET:

'builder.Append("Step " & i & vbCrLf)

With builder
            .Append("Step ")
            .Append(i)
            .Append(vbCrlF)
        End With
    Next i

Return builder.ToString

End Function

Also this is an alternative rather then manually entering line breaks, you can instead use builder.AppendLine which automatically adds a line break.

VB.NET:

builder.AppendLine(String.Format("Step {0}", i))
    Next

Return builder.ToString

End Function

However I have not actually tested the .AppendLine statements in speed tests as I have done with the former to state if it is more efficient ot not, specially considering I used the string.format method for this example.

I just did some calculations, and even though its going at 1800 combonations per second, it will still take 121 mileniums or something.. but thanks for the help anywayz :)

I wouldn't do such heavy calculations in .NET/Mono or any other High-Level Framework. You should write this is in some low-level language, Vala, C or C++ or something similar, maybe even utilizing the CUDA Framework from Nvidia may help.

If you want to do this in VB.NET, I'd at least suggest to turn explicit Typecasting on (Option Strict), implicit typecasting can cost a lot of performance. Also I have to admit that I don't understand your code, though I'd just use some nested loops or recursion to go through all possibilities. If I got you right the output should look something like:

VB.NET:
AAAAAAA
AAAAAAB
AAAAAAC
AAAAAAD
AAAABZY
AAAABZZ
AAAACAA
AAAACAB

Such algorithm should cover all possibilities...I've tried something similar once in C...I'll have a look at home if I still got the sources, maybe they'll help you.

Bobby

Back