Problems Executing VB .NET application on PC without Visual Studio

NickNJ

Programming Experience
3-5
I recently finished an application using VB .NET. Problem is it only works currently on PCs that have the complete Visual Studio .NET 2003 installed on them. I attempted to download and install the Framework, but when I transfer the executable and dll's, then run the application, I get an "Application has generated an exception that could not be handled" error.

My hunch is that is has something to do with VB6 controls that are part of my project. My project needs the MSCOMM32 components and such. However, it doesn't appear that the Framework has installed them on the new computer.

The question comes down to the following. I have a VB .NET application which contains VB6 COMM components that I want to run on a fresh computer. What do I have to install to get this to work? Any help is extremely appreciated. Thanks.

-Nick

Ok.... .NET 101..... .NET is .NET..... COM is COM.... .NET is NOT COM.... and COM is not .NET

Therefor, if you plan to use a COM component in .NET, you will STILL need to distribute the COM part and register it properly on the machine. You will also need to make sure the .interop.dll files for the COM components are also part of the installation.

-tg

Back