Question PictureBox control and .NEF images

fabio.bozzo

Programming Experience
3-5
I've got some RAW images from several Nikon D90 cameras.
They come in NEF format (extension), I can open them with Photoshop.
If I try to load one in a PictureBox control with .Load() method I receive an ArgumentException. However, Image.fromFile() gives 'out of memory'.
How can I display those images?
Oh, I'm using Vb.NET 2010 express.
Thanks a lot

.NEF is a raw format that Photoshop has the ability to read. You may be able to open the file after you install the .NEF codec from: Nikon Imaging | Global Site | NEF Codec Download.

If that doesn't work you may need to convert the files to a positive format such as JPEG. It looks like the program Capture NX (assuming it came with the camera) can batch convert according to this support article: Capture NX - How to convert multiple RAW NEF images to JPEG. No mention of whether you can do this from the command line or COM that I saw in a cursory search.

[resolved]

Excellent!
This resolved my problem perfectly.

Just one thing: I needed that for working in Windows 7, XP worked fine without codec! :eek:

hey guys im new to the forum, and i really only joined because i saw this post in a google search
i was trying to do this only in vb6. (i have no knowledge of .net, altho i was thinking about learning it)
does anyone know if it is indeed possible to load a .nef file into a picturebox?
i keep getting an invalid image error
thanks in advance
weeluke

Back