Performance question VB .NET /C/C++/VB6/C#

vokuit00

Programming Experience
1-3
Hi,

i have a general question about a project that has just begun. I should read lines out of a file. A line (in ASCII format) looks like this:

timestamp(Double) channel(Byte) ID(Integer) mode(String with 2 characters) lenght(Byte) data(max. 8 Byte)

I should read in this lines, parse and visualize them.

My first trials with a file of 60.000 lines were a bit disillusioning. I tried to visualize them in a listbox-control and it needs 10 min. to load and visualize them. The next trial with a listview-control was about one minute. But yesterday i got the information that the maximum file size was 1,500,000 lines.

Now my naive question is, how to handle such large amount of data in VB .NET? Or should i use C/C++ for a better performance?

My first thougts were to implement a class in VB .NET in which i "fill" in the data after parsing the lines with RegEx. After that i could put this class in an Array or a Collection or a database???

I must visualize this data on three kinds. First as a kind of treeview, second in an ActiveX-component like an oszilloskope and third in a table. The user must manipulate some parts of this data.

I hope you can excuse my bad English and that you can give me some recommendation for working on this large amount of data.

Many Thanks

Volker

does it have to be a textfile? you could use a database or just a dataset (save as *.xml file) which would be much more efficiant

Back