Outlook security... register com object... clickonce

Adagio

Programming Experience
Beginner
I have now spent a long time trying to figure out how to fix this problem, hoping someone here could give me some hints

What I'm trying to do:
I need a way to save mail items to a folder on the computer

What I have done so far:
I created a component, where you could drag a mail item from Outlook on to. This component then saves this mail item to a folder on the computer

This works fine on my computer, but doesn't work on most other computers because of Outlook Security (on half the computers it pops up with the message box asking if Outlook should disable security for a few minutes, on the other half nothing happens)

I found a component called Outlook Security Manager, that should take care of this problem. Initial results seemed to be ok, but this component has a huge problem:
One of the DLL's needed is a com object that needs to be registered on the computer before use. I found a way to register this during install of our ClickOnce project, but doing so caused the installation to fail on the computers running Windows 2000 (saying that it needs a newer version of Windows for it to register the DLL)

Is there a way to make ClickOnce register this DLL on the computers where possible, and just ignore it on computers where it's not possible? The computers running Windows 2000 will have no use for this "Outlook Security" feature, so they wont notice that this part doesn't work
It would be great if it was possible for the installation of our program to continue without any problems on Windows 2000 and have the DLL to register on all the other computers

Is this possible? Or is there any other way to accomplish the same?

How about installing that part from application instead of the setup? Save some setting indicating if it was installed, use the setting to determine if installation of this component is needed.

Back