Question Optimizing start up time of .Net DLL

cannorth

Programming Experience
10+
Hello,

I'm trying to cut down the start up time for a VB.Net DLL that is written for AutoCAD. The DLL is loaded into AutoCAD and when the form in the DLL is loaded, it can take up to 20 seconds. This occurs before it steps into the form's Load event. I've looked at ngen to speed up the dll, but I couldn't get it to work very well. What is the best way for me to improve performace at start up? Would ngen be something still useful to use, or something else will help with my problem?

Thanks,

cannorth

How can we tell you how to speed up load time when we've no idea what's being loaded? A form doesn't normally take 20 seconds to load so it is presumably something specific about your form. We don't know anything about your form so we can't say any more. NGen will only speed up the first load anyway.

What's being loaded

Hello,

I have the following on the form:

Several radio buttons.
Several check boxes.
A few labels.
Three buttons
A text box.
A combo box.
Three group boxes.
A SaveFileDialog control.

Thanks,

cannorth

Hello,

I have the following on the form:

Several radio buttons.
Several check boxes.
A few labels.
Three buttons
A text box.
A combo box.
Three group boxes.
A SaveFileDialog control.

Thanks,

cannorth
None of those would cause the form to take so much time to load. Do you have any code in the constructor or the Load event?

I may have a lead as to what is causing the problem. It could be the number of variables I used for my form object. I notice also when I click a button that runs a function with many variable dimensioned, there is a long pause before it steps into the first line of the function. Are there any optimization techniques to cut down the delay?

Thanks,

cannorth

Latest posts

Back