.Net Framework 3.5 for users?

Streen

Programming Experience
3-5
I wrote an application and would like to give it to a user, but because I used the .NET 3.5 framework to write it, the user needs it as well to run the application.

I was expecting that the user does not need to install the entire .Net Framework 3.5 developpment kit, but I am somewhat unable to find any other indication.

Is there no Net Framework 3.5 available just for application users? Like a small file or setup that I can provide with the application itself? Anything like that available?

This whole .Net business still greatly confuses me. It is really a big downside that no matter how I well I program it, I have to hassle the end user to install all this stuff.

.Net 3.5 SP1 introduced Client Profile (1) but was only relevant for XP computers without any .Net installed (somewhat unlikely), it is more relevant from .Net 4.0 (2) thought the size difference is insignificant IMO (3). Computers bought since 2005 should have Vista or W7, that both includes .Net 3.0, so you could change target to that to eliminate possible .Net installation for those clients. I reckon you know that .Net installation is a once only operation in the OS, for those that have it no additional .Net installation takes place.
  1. .NET Framework Client Profile Deployment Guide
  2. .NET Framework Client Profile
  3. Scott Hanselman - Towards a Smaller .NET 4 - Details on the Client Profile and Downloading .NET

Back