Question Modal / Modeless Forms...

TomIsBigInTheGame

Programming Experience
1-3
Hi,

This is my first post - I'll keep it nice and easy... :cool:

Basically... I've got the following forms: SearchItemForm and ViewItemForm. SearchItemForm allows users to search for items within the system and displays the results in a list. Item information is shown via ViewItemForm, which is modeless (shown via .Show()) - it's important for users to be able to view multiple items simultaneously...

The ViewItemForm has an edit button. When clicked, I want to enforce focus so no user sits mid-edit for ages while performing other tasks, as per a modal form. So, when clicked, I set the form .Visible property to false, and then re-show it via .ShowDialog(). This works. However, when some save button is clicked, I wish to leave the form open, but cease to enforce focus, as per a modeless form (because there's no reason to maintain it once editing is complete). I tried setting .Visible to false and calling .Show(), but this doesn't work. I also tried .Close() and calling .Show() under the premise that .Close() doesn't call .Dispose() for a modal form, but this didn't work either. I'd look into using .Focus next, but I'm calling it a day (hometime!).

It's worth adding that I'm trying to control the forms from within a control, via Me.ParentForm, e.g. Me.ParentForm.Show().

Any ideas? Cheers!

Hmm, lots of views, no responses...

I'm guessing this question is either A) too easy, and discussed in detail elsewhere B) too hard (I doubt it!) or C) the wrong way to go about it (which is quite likely - spot the web developer). :confused:

I should throw in D) it' early days too, I guess. :D

Next stop - proper examination of MDI in VB.net...

Back