Minimum search word length is 4 characters

cjard

Programming Experience
10+
Can we have this changed to 3 please? All i could rmember about a thread recently was that someone had asked whether MDF could be used without SQL Server installed.. "mdf without sql server installed" fails search min word lengths, and IMHO mandating minimum 4 characters on a programming forum is a bit silly.. Many significant things in programming are 3 characters

I'll second this request. Over the last few weeks, there have been several occasions where I wanted to search for a 3-letter word - PDF, GDI, SQL etc.

I personally wouldnt mind if we had to use another word in conjunction with the 3 letter word if it helps.

I agree with this

I'd also like to add that I don't like how the search excludes everything after the 1st space " ", it should be a little smarter than that.

Also I think Neal will be upgrading the forum software sometime in the near future which may make it easier to change these things.

vBulletin made this change in the 3.x release. I'll investigate getting this changed if possible.

I made the changes, restarted the MySQL server and initiated the rebuild of the full text search. It may take time to rebuild, but see how things work for you now.

Nice! :) I've also been missing this possibility in some cases.
I'd also like to add that I don't like how the search excludes everything after the 1st space " ", it should be a little smarter than that.
I have not seen such behaviour. I can use multiple words in search and have done so as long as I can remember (but not for shorter words than 3 letters, until now).

Nice! :) I've also been missing this possibility in some cases.

I have not seen such behaviour. I can use multiple words in search and have done so as long as I can remember (but not for shorter words than 3 letters, until now).

I see it's working now, it wasn't last week when I was doing a search.

Latest posts

Back